Saturday, August 26, 2017

Man arrested while attempting to commit suicide over a N50,000 loan in Ogun


A man identified as Abiodun Onipede has been arrested for attempting to commit suicide over his inability to refund a N50k ‘Lapo’ loan. .
.
Onipede was arrested by the Anti-Vandal team of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Ogun State, command, while attempting to mount a rope in the bush along Ayetoro road in Abeokuta.


It was gathered that he had tied the rope to a big tree and was about hanging himself when a member of the team who wanted to ease himself in the bush stumbled on him.

It was further gathered that, the suspect, a commercial Tricyclist dropped out at 200 level, Federal College of Education, Osiele, due to financial incapability. Onipede had lost one of his children due to his inability to pay the hospital bills.  

While speaking with Vanguardngr, Onipede, a 34-year old father of five, said he was a former staff of Traffic Compliance and Agency in the state. He added that his failure to pay the ‘Lapo’ loan, an informal money lender syndicate, forced him to take the decision to take his life. .

"I am frustrated because am owing a lot of people ranging from house bill to electricity bill, and some other bills. I am ashamed of myself because am not a responsible man, I cannot cater for my family as a head. .

The Lapo officials have used OPC to arrest my wife because of the money, if not for the help of my pastor. Am just frustrated because I have to pay N3,000 every Friday and I am presently jobless. And I still have like N24,000 to balance. .

I cannot pay the hospital bill of my mother, I can’t take care of her, I was told she is now on the street begging to survive.

What added to my conclusion to commit suicide was due to my inability to refund the ‘Lapo’ loan I collected when I wanted to start my tricycle business," he said. He however, said he regretted his action. .

Meanwhile, the Public Relations Officer of NSCDC, Ogbonnaya Dyke, described it as a crime against the state for someone to try to take his life. He added that the suspect will be handed over to the police

No comments:

Post a Comment

WE LOVE COMMENTS, POST A COMMENT

Nigerian Woman Shows Off Giant Cassava Tuber She Harvested From Her Farm (Photo)

  A woman from Orlu, Imo State showed off a giant Cassava tuber she harvested from her farmland, NairaNaijaNews reports. See photo below.