Sunday, July 26, 2015

Whoever says acting is not lucrative is lying — Bukky Fagbuyi

Nollwood actress and film producer, Bukola Fagbuyi, popularly known as “Bukky Apesin”, recently, premiered her movie, Sekunola in  Houston, Texas with several of her colleagues in attendance. 

She is an up and coming actress who desires to stamp her feet in the sands of the make-believe industry. In this interview, she talks about a few things that make her tick

Why did it take you twelve years to produce your own movie?
I know it is a trend especially in the Yoruba sector of the industry for people who have not even gone through a drama school to produce movies. I don’t go with the crowd, I do things when I think I have got all it requires. Truly, I joined the industry in 2003 but movie making is not something one jumps into. It requires a good story line, script, cast, money and so on. Besides, I want to be identified with quality.

Do you think the trend is wrong?
I am only saying we should learn to do quality films and pay attention to the image we create for ourselves in the industry. If any one thinks he or she has what it takes to produce a film, who am I to complain?

SEE : D'banj & Dr Sid reunite over Fifa Game


What is your new film Sekunola about?
Sekunola is about children, child abuse, parental care and the youths. There are many vices in our society but I want to educate people on family values.

A large percentage of  Yoruba films are shot in Ikorodu and Abeokuta, why did you shoot Sekunola in Akure, Ondo State?

I had to travel that far to get the features needed to have a good story. Also, Akure is a peaceful and beautiful place.

Do you mind sharing those features with us?
That would mean letting the cat out of the bag. When you see the film, you will understand and appreciate my sense of judgment.

Who are the cast?
I have Muyiwa Ademola, Saheed Balogun, Bimbo Oshin, Ibrahim Charter, Dayo Amusa, Aderupoko, Kunle Afod, Dupe Jayesimi and so many others.

What are the challenges you encountered being your first time of producing a movie?
The story line is about children. Getting children who could act well was quite challenging. Getting children to give us the best took our time. I had to look for somebody who could work and tolerate their excesses to direct the film.

Who directed the film?
Adebayo Tijani and Muyiwa Ademola. My directors were wonderful. My film was nominated for ZAFFA Award last year. It also won the Yoruba Heritage Awards 2014 at Atlanta, Georgia, USA.

Why did you premiere your film outside Nigeria where it originated from?
This is not my making. My promoters did it on popular demand. It will soon hit the Nigerian market.

SEE: Nigerian Embassy in China hosts singer Kcee (photos)


It once went viral that you were dating your boss, Muyiwa Ademola?
I want the whole world to know that I have not and will never date my boss.

Is he not worth you or isn’t he your kind of man?
No, that is far from the truth. He is like a brother to me, we are too close to become lovers.

What were the measures you took to tell your own side of the story?
I spoke to some media organizations and I think it did work.

How do you see Nollywood?
Nollywood is a great industry. You will appreciate Nollywood more when you are outside Nigeria. When I was going for ZAFAA Awards in 2009, my picture was on the flyer. When the immigration officer who was questioning other passengers saw me , she jumped at me and took my autograph. Foreigners appreciate Nollywood more.

Do you agree that some actresses pay producers to get roles?
I can never pay for roles, I will rather work for them. I will never pay to get a role. My talent will make people come to me regardless of their status.

What else do you do besides acting?
I sell ladies and children wears.

So you also have a fashion house?
No, I get the wears and distribute to my customers.

READ: Some actresses use acting as platform for prostitution – Ekiti Born: Hannah Ogundare


Many Yoruba actresses seem to be in the fashion business, why ?
Nollywood is about fashion. It is a show business. Show business is not only about movies, but also about what you look like, what you wear, the car you drive, etc.

An actress once said many actresses go into these businesses to make money as acting can’t pay their bills. Is that true?
This is not true. It depends on what they are putting into it. You can only make money when you strategise. I know piracy is really killing our business. Actresses are going into business because we can still shuffle our job with business. Acting is not a white collar job where you work 8am to 6pm. Also, we are into show business because we want to make more money. Acting pays well. Please explain why Aliko Dangote ventures into new businesses almost on a daily basis? Genevieve has a brand, is it because she has no money? No, I don’t believe it’s because we don’t have money or we don’t make enough money from acting.

Are you married?
No, I am not.

So, you’re single and searching?
(Laughs) Single, but am I searching? No, I don’t think so. I have not said I have a man or I don’t. If a woman is searching, that does not mean it’s because she doesn’t have a man.

Talk about your man?
Let’s save that for another day.

READ: I Was Getting N1 million Per Movie Before I Left Nigeria – Shola Shobowale


Your type of man?
Good, handsome, and God fearing.

How soon do you plan to settle down?
I will get married by God grace. Marriage is not what you just jump into.

Are you a virgin?
I am not a virgin. But please save all the personal questions for another day. I am in a relationship with a good man. That will be made public soon.

SEE: Man breaks bottle on his head for Dotman's "Yes Melo" music video

No comments:

Post a Comment

WE LOVE COMMENTS, POST A COMMENT

Nigerian Woman Shows Off Giant Cassava Tuber She Harvested From Her Farm (Photo)

  A woman from Orlu, Imo State showed off a giant Cassava tuber she harvested from her farmland, NairaNaijaNews reports. See photo below.