Friday, February 20, 2015

Father of attendant set ablaze seeks justice

The father of a 13-year-old bar attendant, Emmanuel Ezekiel, who was allegedly set ablaze by his boss for stealing N1, 500, Mr. Abiodun Ezekiel, has called on the Ogun State Police Command to ensure that the man who killed his son is brought to book.

PUNCH Metro had reported on February 13 that a bar manager in Akoka, Ibafo area of Ogun State, Bidemi Shittu, allegedly poured petrol on his attendant and set him ablaze for theft.

It had also been reported that Emmanuel was rescued from the fire by residents, and rushed to a private hospital for treatment before he was referred to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, as a result of the severity of the burns.

Our correspondent reported that Emmanuel, however, died at LASUTH on February 15, while the police in Ogun were still searching for Shittu, who had gone into hiding since the day of incident.

Speaking with PUNCH Metro, the father, Abiodun, said the money which Shittu claimed his son stole was eventually found, which proved that Emmanuel was innocent.

He enjoined the police to intensify their investigations and fish out the killer of his son.

He said, "Emmanuel is my only son. He has an elder sister who does not stay in Ibafo here. I was not around during the time of the incident as I travelled to Ekiti State to treat myself for an illness.

"I committed Emmanuel to a friend to look after him while I was away.

"It was while in my hometown that I was called on the phone and informed about the matter.

"Emmanuel was not working in the bar. He only stayed around the place because I worked as a security man at the neighbouring hotel.

"When I came back, I told Pa Shittu, the suspect's father, that it was not my son that Bidemi should maltreat because I had been useful to their family in several ways. I want the police to continue with their investigations, and fish out the killer of my son. He must not die in vain.

"I know Emmanuel's mother must have heard about the incident too. We parted ways when Emmanuel was just four."

The Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Muyiwa Adejobi, said the police were still intensfying efforts to apprehend the suspect, adding that procedures were being perfected to officially declare Shittu wanted.

He said, "The police are intensifying efforts to arrest the suspect, and we assure members of the public that we will.

"We are also perfecting all the legal procedures that would enable us to declare him wanted. He will be arrested."

No comments:

Post a Comment

WE LOVE COMMENTS, POST A COMMENT

Nigerian Woman Shows Off Giant Cassava Tuber She Harvested From Her Farm (Photo)

  A woman from Orlu, Imo State showed off a giant Cassava tuber she harvested from her farmland, NairaNaijaNews reports. See photo below.